There are certain behaviors which those who abuse substances often use in an attempt to maintain an appearance of normalcy. During sobriety, the reappearance of these behaviors may indicate the beginning of a slide into relapse.
Behaviors associated with drug and alcohol use
- Compulsive behavior (too much eating, working, sex)
- Irresponsibility (not meeting family or work commitments)
- Unreliability (skipping appointments, breaking promises)
- Loss of interest in family life, recreation
- Carelessness in personal health and grooming
- Poor housekeeping (cleaning less often than you usually do)
- Impulsive behavior
- Using other drugs, increased smoking
- Stopping prescribed medication
Pick three behaviors from the list that you used when you were drinking. In your journal, discuss how to recognize the recurrence of these behaviors and what steps you can take if you find yourself using them.